Trust Me



So last Saturday I drove to Manhattan* (a one hour and 45 minute drive) to sign my lease. I was super excited, and even though I was out late the night before I got up at 9 and started on my way.

I stopped by the bank first to deposit my paycheck (which should have been done on Tuesday, but I was waiting so I wouldn't accidentally spend it). I had a few problems getting done with it what I wanted, but ultimately got it figured out.

About half a mile outside of Peabody (That's about 15 minutes from home or so) one of my tires blew out. Luckily I know how to change my tire, and there was one shop in Peabody who had a tire the right size (can't drive all the way to Manhattan with a donut!) that they gave me for incredibly cheap.

To be honest, when my tire blew my first thought was, "Ok, God. Are you trying to tell me no?" And the response I got was, "Trust me."

Another 45 minutes down the road, halfway between Newton and Manhattan I got a phone call from a lady who said her son was actually going to be taking my spot in the apartment. Apparently there was already one other guy living there that I hadn't been told about, and now this when I was already halfway there. "I QUIT MY JOB!" I told the lady. I was furious. Should I just turn around now? But that same voice said, "Trust me." So I kept going.

I made a couple calls to other people that had emailed me about apartments. I had ignored them because I had been told this one was set in stone.

Once I got to Manhattan I went to visit one of them. It was a nice place, it was in a mobile home district, but it wasn't trailer trash material. I had two bedrooms with two closets and my own bathroom, for $60 less than my original place. My only real issue was that it was clear out on the edge of town.

I and my brother and a friend drove around looking for places closer to the center of town. Eventually we started looking on craigslist, which I had avoided because it sounded too sketchy. But my friend found a place for even cheaper than the one I had just looked at that was within walking distance!

I texted the girl, viewed the room/house, and got the number to call to sign my lease when I move in!

I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening hanging out with said friend, watching Phantom of the Opera (favorite movie) and Little Miss Sunshine (which was pretty good for an Indie film). And started home around 11.

I figured 11 was a reasonable time, it would get me home by 1 which gave me plenty of time to sleep before I had to work in the morning.

As I was leaving Manhattan I knew I needed gas, I decided to wait until I got to Herrington because I knew gas would be cheaper. What I forgot about was the massive detour at Herrington. On the way there I had made a detour through a dirt road instead of following their half-hour long detour, and figured I could do the same now.

I was so wrong.

I drove around on sketchy gravel roads in the dark for about 45 minutes before deciding to just take the actually detour. And a mile and a half from the main highway I ran out of gas. During the day this probably wouldn't have been a big deal, but in the middle of nowhere, by myself, in the dark, with a thick fog coming in... it was pretty creepy. But during my detouring and my sitting on the side of the road I heard, "Trust me."

I sat there for over an hour waiting for the cops to come help me out, and when they finally did my car still wouldn't start, even though we tried jumping it and let it charge for several minutes. We waited for a tow truck and then for my parents to come get me. By the time I got home it was after 5 am, and my car was still an hour away and I needed to move in 4 days. But I heard "trust me."

On Sunday we had my car towed home, and Monday I called my Grandad. And you know what? He jumped my car. It worked fine! I drove to Berean and back to really charge up the battery.

Saturday was way to eventful, but everything is back on track, and I'm moving tomorrow.

I'm glad I trusted.


*Manhattan, Kansas. Not NY. I am not moving to NY. Please stop asking me why I am moving to NY because I'm not.

Comments

Popular Posts