I Might Just Float Away



So if you've been following my adventures for the last eight months or so you know that I've been desperately trying to figure my life out.

I have been living at home and working at KFC in Newton. I knew when I made the decision to stay here that it was the right one to make, but I have continued to feel out of place, like this is not where I'm supposed to be.

Over the last four weeks or so I began to hate the job I used to love. Doing anything outside of work was out of the question (due to the fact that there are very few people my age living in Newton, and going out costs money, even if just for gas), and I felt extremely frustrated.

Last week, after a final frustrating conversation I went to work feeling incredibly alone. Not only had I just ended an unhealthy friendship, but I had no one to talk to about it. Texting friends is nice, but sometimes you just need someone to talk to in person.

Your late teens and early 20s are meant to be a kind of "golden years". They're generally what people are referring to when they say "the good old days". But I wasn't making any memories, or building life-long friendships that I so desperately yearn for. Although I have some amazing friends, they are all very far away.

Last weekend I went to Manhattan (Kansas) for my friend's bachelorette party. I'd also been considering moving to Manhattan in January and going to K-State. After being there for one night I realized how amazing it was just to be near so many people at my same stage in life. I ended up staying an extra night.

One of my greatest fears in moving to a new place and starting a new life has been my ability to make friends. In the 48 hours I was in Manhattan I made at least 5 new friends. That's more friends than I made my entire first semester of college!

I mentioned to my brother (who lives in Manhattan and goes to Manhattan Christian) that I'd been considering moving there and immediately got a very positive response from my new friends. As I went to church with them on Sunday I told myself/God (not that I think myself and God are synonymous... just don't even) that if I liked the musical worship (I'm pretty picky about the way it's done), liked the preaching style, and agreed with every detail of the sermon I would take that as God's sign of blessing and uproot and move.

And I did.

When God tells us to do something we should never say "Wait! I'm not ready!" because He knows we are. So I took immediate action. I started looking for an apartment in Manhattan, and a job. I'm taking it as another sign from Him that I got an immediate response about a home and am planning to go sign my lease on Saturday! Also within 24 hours of making my decision I had a relatively set-in-stone job lined up, and plenty of back up plan! My paycheck I got this week ended up being almost exactly what I needed for my security deposit. Never in my life have I felt things falling into place so perfectly.

This is a huge leap of faith, and I honestly feel really crazy! But God makes us do crazy things sometimes.

Ever since making this decision I feel as if the proverbial weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Every time I make a new decision that facilitates my move I feel even lighter... thus the title of this post: I might just float away! I'm so excited for the adventure that is my life!

I appreciate your support and prayers as always.

Comments

Popular Posts