Caffeine

This post is going to start out a little strange, but hang in there with me, I promise it's going somewhere...

I try to watch my caffeine intake because I suffer from pretty intense insomnia and I don't want to make it worse... also because generally the things that caffeine comes in aren't super great for you. Although I enjoy tea and black coffee, both of which are good for you, when I actually feel the need for caffeine I usually need something stronger... like energy drinks or espresso. Both of which have an insane amount of sugar, and energy drinks have a ton of ingredients I can't pronounce which is generally a bad sign.

However, unlike some people I don't think energy drinks are part of the devils ultimate plan.

The problem with insomnia is that even if I avoid caffeine completely there are some nights that I just can't sleep... even if I'm really tired... which then means I need something to help me stay awake... usually caffeine.

Today was one of those days... I finally fell asleep around 1 last night and had to get up at 5 for work this morning. Now this post isn't about insomnia or even about caffeine... I suppose the title was a bit misleading. So don't bother telling me about how to overcome insomnia or alternatives to caffeine... I've heard it all and I've been to the doctor about it more than once, it's generally something I just have to live with.

Anyway, I had a huge amount of work to get done today, so I drank a Monster.

This is what it's really about.

I hate Monster. As I mentioned earlier energy drinks are horrible for you... sugar free monster is the only one that I can even think about ingesting... and it still disgusts me. Not only do I think about the incredible amount of bad chemicals I'm willingly letting into my body, but even the sugar free is incredibly sweet, and ultimately really gross tasting. But I had to have it, it was the only thing available to me at the moment and I really needed a kick start.

And now I'm going to turn this whole thing around and relate it to life and your dreams.

Occasionally I watch an incredible documentary, or the show Mysteries at the Museum, or read one of my college textbooks (S/O to JBU History faculty for choosing amazing textbooks that I kept and still read... or maybe I'm just a nerd... probably both). I am reminded, then, of my dreams. Of my ultimate career goal and what I really want to do with my life.

And it's frustrating. Because I know exactly what I want to do and how I want to get there. I have soooooo much to do. I have around 6-8 years of schooling left (2 undergrad, 3-4 M.A. and 1-2 Ph.D). But although I am thoroughly enjoying my current position in life I can't help feeling like I'm drinking Monster. I'm doing something I dislike because I know I have to to be able to get done what I need to get done. I'm taking some time to get that kick start (both financially and with a solid energy and motivation) to do what I really want to do.

And sometimes that really sucks.

Comments

Popular Posts