'Cause Those Who Mind Don't Matter

At some point in my life I stopped having guilty pleasures.

And no, that doesn't mean I stopped watching bad tv, or listening to crappy music. It doesn't mean I gave up my nerdy taste in literature and media. It definitely doesn't mean I gave up sugar and foods that are "bad for me".

What it means is that I stopped feeling guilty about my pleasures.

At some point I decided that it doesn't really matter whether people think the things you like are stupid... you like them!

I watched High School Musical (1 and 2) last night. And I wont apologize for it... because it has an important message for everyone, and especially kids who are actually in high school... and especially for adults.

While I think the story line is one that's been done way too many times, and the songs are catchy but not musically complicated, there is a underlying theme that I find to be incredibly deep for the style of movie it is.

During a number in the movie titled "Stick to the Status Quo" students say that they have a confession, to which their friends respond something like, "Tell us! We love you for who you are!" but after finding out that a basketball player likes baking, a mathlete dances, and a skater plays the cello the friends insist that these people not do these things. These things don't fit the box that people have put them in.

That's incredibly upsetting. So many kids actually go through high school avoiding doing and admitting to the things they like because they're afraid of what other people are going to think of them... and honestly, rightfully so. We tell kids "be yourself" and "don't care what other people think", but if you know anything about how cruel other kids can be to people they think like stupid things, then maybe we would take a different approach.

It hasn't been that long since I was in high school myself, and I happen to know that a lot of kids are mean to others because of their own insecurities... whether they realize it or not. I think if every child honestly felt like they could do the things they love and be the person they want to be with the full support of not only their friends but their family they wouldn't feel so angry towards kids they see following their dreams.

So be who you are and say what you feel... but encourage others (especially your family members, significant others, and friends) to do the same.

It's really amazing how your life changes when you stop having guilty pleasures and just have pleasures, and when you start following your dreams and encouraging others in theirs.

Comments

Popular Posts