Let Me Learn You A Thing

Ever since I was a small child I have loved stories, especially in the form of the written word.

I was the kid who hid under the blankets with a flashlight and a book that was just too good to put down.

I was the kid reading at a fifth grade level in first grade and finishing the book three hours after I was supposed to be in bed and being so excited about it that I didn't care that I got in trouble when I went downstairs to tell my parents how much I loved The Wizard of Oz. (whew, that run on sentence kind of wore me out)

I have never connected to an author more than when J.K. Rowling uttered (through the character of Dumbledore), "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."

I think the Harry Potter series defines this in a very significant way for my generation. Many people my age grew up with those books, and I have heard many say that when the final page of the last book ended and the last scene faded from the screen, that's when they knew their childhood was over. And although I didn't read the books or watch the movies until my freshman year of college, Harry Potter was an excellent reminder of the power of books.

Occasionally I come across people who say they don't like to read. And, in all honesty, my first reaction is to assume they are uneducated (which, if we're still being honest, usually happens to be the case).

But I find, more often than not, that the reason people don't like to read is because they never found something worth reading. They read those stories we're forced to read for school, and eventually learn to be skimmers or check sparknotes before class.

They never read anything that brought that magic to them.

 My fast internet connection allows me to watch far too many episodes of Supernatural and Doctor Who in a row. (In January 2015 alone I went through all 10 seasons of Friends and all 8 of Psych... whoops.)Sometimes, in my hectic day-to-day life, full of outside activities and instant access television, I too forget the magic of books.

Yet every time I pick one up I am instantly reminded of their amazing transportational powers.

One of the reasons I chose to be a history major is because the whole thing is basically based on stories. Sometimes the reason I'm finishing research papers the night before they're due is because I got caught up in my research and ended up reading half of Le Morte d'Arthur before I realized I actually had to write something about it.

Books have taught me a lot of things. I always thought vocab lessons were stupid because I already learned most of those words from books (although, it's quite embarrassing when you say a word the way you've been pronouncing it in your head, but you've only ever read it and so you totally botch it). I've learned a great deal about the English language. I learned many things about motif, foreshadowing, and all those other things they teach you in middle school English classes.

But beyond all of those things I learned a great deal about life and people. Hearkening back to Harry Potter, which taught an entire generation about friendship. If I were to list all of the books I've read and all of the things they've taught me it would fill its own entire series of books.

Here's the thing though: until my senior year of high school  never actually read books we were assigned for class. Although I did alright based on the fact that I had read several of the books before, knew the story lines, or had enough knowledge of story formula to know the answers, I failed a lot of quizzes. Being forced to read something took all of the joy out of the experience.

But my senior year I decided to read A Tale of Two Cities on my own, before it was assigned. And I have read it at least five times since. Turns out, it's my favorite book.

Basically this very long winded post is to tell you to pick up a book. I don't care what book... it can be Winnie the Pooh for all I care. But despite whether you think you hate reading there is a book out there that will capture your heart, your mind, or your imagination. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, or play.

You're a busy person and so am I. More often than not, I chose to "read" by listening to an audiobook while I drive, clean, or relax... or follow along in my own copy of my favorite books.

I'm not seven years-old anymore, and I've sort of maxed-out on reading level, but I still find myself staying up way too late at night because I just can't put my book down.

Comments

Popular Posts