Adventure is Out There

I haven't written anything in a while, and I'm really sorry about that. I was going to make an announcement a couple weeks back, but my plans changed and I'm glad I didn't... and I will have to leave you in the dark about that for a bit longer... possibly forever depending on my decisions.

A few catch up things: I dropped my phone in a toilet and have been without one for about three weeks, but my new one is coming in a few hours! I have been working as a Barista at Verna Belles, a cafe in a retirement community here in Manhattan and I love it. Not only is the job fun, but my coworkers are interesting, the residents are sweet, and my higher-ups are encouraging. I have a car that works. And I'm getting involved with the local community theater!

And the biggest, most exciting thing: I'm going to Siloam Springs, Arkansas this weekend!

For those of you who are not aware, Siloam is where I spent my two years of college at JBU and is where my heart truly is. Over the last few months I have pined for the joy of being in that place and with the people I love there. I have made a couple of attempts at planning a trip, but with moving and work it has been incredibly difficult.

I can't express to you how overjoyed I am about going this weekend. I'm excited to see my old friends, and meet their new ones. I'm looking forward to climbing the library tree and (finally) attending Mock Rock. I wish I was going during the week so I could see some professors, but that will have to wait until a later date.

We've all heard the cliche: home is where the heart is, I honestly didn't know the extent of it's veracity until I attended JBU. Since Spring Break my freshman year there is no where I'd rather be than Siloam Springs.

To be frank, though, sometimes we have to get out of our comfort zones and leave home. I always knew it would happen someday. I can distinctly remember sitting in a class thinking about how one day I would graduate and have to leave and how sad that made me.

Over the next year or so I have a lot of decisions to make. For now, I plan to stay in Manhattan, but I don't know if I'll be here for the rest of my life. My best friend and I have recently discussed getting an apartment together in Dallas, but that's still a long way away. I've thought about going back to Siloam for good someday, but for now it's just a pipe dream.

People keep asking me what I want to do with my life, especially since I'm not in school anymore. My answer has gone from "go back to school" to "I don't know" to "I want to have an adventure." That's not to say that going back to school isn't part of my adventure, or that I do know exactly what I want to do with my life.

But I do know what I want to get out of my life. Adventure is my ultimate goal. It's why being broke is okay. It's why I feel comfortable living with people I barely know. It's why I dyed my hair purple.

In the movie UP the adventure was going to South America in a house with balloons tied to it. If you Google "Adventure Movies" it will come up with movies like Indiana Jones, The Avengers, Lord of the Rings, or Harry Potter. But to be honest, I think movies like The Notebook should come up too. Because life, in and of itself, should be an adventure.

I'd like to live my life in such a way that people would read a book or watch a movie about it. Not anecdotes, short stories, or a television series (unless it's Doctor Who or Supernatural), but a series of novels and a film saga where I'm played by Emma Stone.

Understand that there's a difference between living like I'm in a movie/like my life is a movie, and living like I want a movie to be made out of my life. I don't expect my life to be a romantic comedy, or a superhero flick. I expect my life to be extraordinarily ordinary. Because despite my purple hair, I am extraordinarily ordinary. I'd like my life to be the kind of movie where everyone relates to the main character and walks out of the theater thinking, "My life should be more like that."

Because I'm not waiting around for adventure to happen to me, it's something I actively seek out. We're not all going to be charged to carry the ring to Mordor, or defeat He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named.

Although my love for Spider-Man is great (2 tshirts, leggings, unmentionables, a poster, and toothbrush), I strive to be more like Batman. We don't all get bit by radioactive spiders, but we can embrace our fears, and turn our setbacks into a reason to save the world.

Comments

Popular Posts